Part I
Stu: Professor Johnson, there is something that’s been on my mind.
Pro: OK?
Stu: Remember last week, you told us that it's really important to get our photography into a show, basically as soon as we can?
Pro: Yup, it's a big step, no question.
Stu: Thing is, I am sitting here and I am just not sure how I’d get there. I mean I’ve got some work I like, but is it really what a gallery is looking for? How would I know? How do I make the right contacts to get it into a show, I just really don't...
Pro: OK, hold on, slow down. Um…these are questions that, well, just about every young artist has to struggle with. OK, the first thing you should do is you absolutely have to stay true to your artistic vision; take the pictures you want to take.
你应该做的第一件事就是你必须要绝对忠于你的艺术眼光,拍你想拍的照片。
1. on your mind
if sb/sth is on your mind , you are thinking and worrying about them/it a lot 挂在心上;惦念
E.g.: Don't bother your father tonight─he's got a lot on his mind.
今晚就别打扰你父亲了——他的烦心事儿已经够多了。
2. no question
definitely, without any doubt绝对地;毫无疑问
E.g.: There's no question, this is the best cheesecake I have ever tasted!
毫无疑问,这是我吃过的最好的芝士蛋糕!
3. the thing is
used to introduce an important fact, reason or explanation 事实是;主要原因是
E.g.: I'm sorry my assignment isn't finished. The thing is, I've had a lot of other work this week.
对不起,我的任务没完成。主要原因是我这星期有许多其他工作要做。
4. contact|ˈkɒntækt|
noun. an occasion on which you meet or communicate with sb; a relationship with sb 会见;交往;人际关系
E.g.: We have good contacts with the local community.
我们与当地社区关系甚好。
5. vision|ˈvɪʒn|
noun. the ability to think about or plan the future with great imagination and intelligence 想象力;眼力;远见卓识
E.g.: I have a vision of a society that is free of exploitation and injustice.
我希望建立一个没有剥削和不公的社会。
Part II
Don't start trying to catch the flavor of the month and be trendy because you think you’ll get into a show – that never works, because you wind up creating something you don't really believe in. It’s uninspired, and won’t make any shows. I've seen it happen so many times. This doesn't mean that you should go into a cave. Keep up with trends, even think about how your work might fit in with them, but don't mindlessly follow them.
Stu: Well, yeah, I can see that. I think though I have always been able to stay pretty true to what I want to create, not what others want me to create. I think that comes through in my work.
Pro: OK, just remember that it’s one thing to create work that you really want to create when it’s in the classroom. The only thing at stake is your grade. But work created outside the classroom? That can be in a different story. I'm not talking about technique or things like that. It's just that there is so much more at stake when you are out there making art for a living. There’s a lot of pressure to become something you are not, and peopleoften surrender to that pressure.
只是当你在外面社会上想以艺术谋生的时候是有更大风险的。
1. flavor of the month
a person or thing that is very popular at a particular time 风靡一时的人(或事物)
E.g.: Education reform seems to have become the flavor of the month among politicians.
教育改革似乎已成为政客之间风靡一时的话题。
2. trendy|ˈtrendi|
adj. very fashionable 时髦的;赶时髦的
E.g.: Trendy teachers are denying children the opportunity to study classic texts.
赶时髦的教师正在剥夺孩子学习经典课本的机会。
3. wind up
to find yourself in a particular place or situation 以…告终(或终结)
E.g.: If you take risks like that you'll wind up dead.
你要是冒那种险就会把命赔上。
4. uninspired|ˌʌnɪnˈspaɪəd|
adj. not original or exciting 缺乏创造力的;单调乏味的
E.g.: The script was singularly uninspired.
这个剧本极其没有创意。
5. make|meɪk|
verb. to manage to reach or go to a place or position (尽力)赶往,到达,达到
E.g.: The story made (=appeared on) the front pages of the national newspapers.
这件事登在了全国性报纸的头版。
6. come through
to be expressed to someone 被表达
E.g.: Her enthusiasm really came through [=came across] when she talked about her job. [=we could see that she was really enthusiastic when she talked about her job]
当她谈到她工作时候,她的热情就表现出来了。
7. at stake
that can be won or lost, depending on the success of a particular action 成败难料;得失都可能;有风险
E.g.: We cannot afford to take risks when peoples' lives are at stake.
现在人命交关,不容我们有闪失。
8. surrender|səˈrendə(r)|
verb. to admit that you have been defeated and want to stop fighting; to allow yourself to be caught, taken prisoner, etc. 投降;屈服
E.g.: The rebel soldiers were forced to surrender.
叛军被迫投降。
Part III
Stu: But to get stuff exhibited…
Pro: Well, you need to be a bit of an opportunist. You know, common sense things like always having a sample of your work on hand to give to people. You won’t believe the kind of contacts and opportunities you can get in this way. And try to get your work seen in the places like restaurants, bookstores. You’d be surprised how word gets around about photography in places like that.
Stu: OK, it's just so hard to think about all of those practical things and make good work, you know.
你会惊讶于在这样的地方关于摄影的消息传播得有多快。
1. opportunist |ˌɒpəˈtju:nɪst|
noun. someone who tries to get an advantage or something valuable from a situation without thinking about what is fair or right 机会主义者;投机者
E.g.: 80% of burglaries are committed by casual opportunists
80%的入室行窃都是临时起意者所为
2. common sense
the ability to think about things in a practical way and make sensible decisions 常识
E.g.: For goodness' sake, just use your common sense.
我的老天,你也凭常识想想!
3. on hand
available for use; present and available to dosomething 在手头;在近处;现有
E.g.: We have plenty of water on hand.
我们手头有大量的水。